So with summer well and truly here I decided it’s only right to utilise the eggs from the hens and the excess gin in the cupboard (30 bottles isn’t an obsession is it?) and make a Gin and Lemon Drizzle Cake!
So here is the recipe for anyone who fancies giving it a go!
Firstly you will need…..
For the cake
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- The grated zest of 2 lemons
- 4 medium eggs
- 100ml gin
For the drizzle
- juice of 2 lemons
- 75ml gin – yes MORE gin!
- 150g granulated sugar
- Grease and line a tin, either a loaf or round tin with butter, marg or baking paper
- Beat together the butter, sugar, flour, zest of your lemons 🍋 and eggs 🥚 until light and smooth – use an electric whisk or a wooden spoon if you want a work out and to negate the need for the gym – then gradually mix in 100ml gin to give a mixture that drops easily from a spoon.
- Pour into the tin and bake in the oven for 1hr-1hr 15 mins. The cake should have risen and be golden brown. If you poke a skewer or knife into it, it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and pop the tin on a heatproof surface or cooling rack ready to make a mess!
- Finally mix the lemon juice, gin and sugar together. Poke holes in the cake with the skewer or knife and without making the same mess I did, drizzle the gin and lemon syrup all over, allowing it to soak in. Leave to cool completely in the tin. Store in a cake tin.
Tada! Then enjoy with a yummy G&T or a non alcoholic version if you’re driving!
Obviously I’m not the next James Martin so don’t blame me if it goes a bit wrong! Cooking times will vary slightly depending on the size of your tin!
(Pre warning…. with all this alcohol around me it seems silly and even wasteful not to make the most of the Elderflowers growing outside my house and have a bash at some Elderflower Champagne…..)
Thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and tag me on IG or Facebook if you give this a go!